This blog post is brought to you by Anna, Isaac, Maura and Sandy, members of our Social Media + Content Integration team.
We attended the 2014 Insight Summit Series PR + Social Media Summit, held at Marquette University on 10.7.14. There were many moments that made this year’s event special, but here are our top ten favorites:
- Brands using Reddit – Reddit is one of the most self-aware websites on the Internet, and summit attendees had a chance to learn how brands can leverage it from Reddit’s Director of Communications Victoria Taylor. Did you know that over 500 subreddits are created each day? How is your brand jumping into the conversation?
- Making social media more social – Social media and Public Relations should always be at the forefront of planning a campaign. They are the humanizing elements of any advertising or marketing strategy, and should never be an afterthought.
- Engagement isn’t enough – The engagement rate of most tweets is lower than the engagement rate of banner ads. This doesn’t mean Twitter isn’t useful – brands need to find their voice and use social media in a way that truly connects with their audience, not just as another advertising tool.
- Listen + Join the Conversation Organically – Real time human engagement is one of the many cool factors of Reddit. However, it’s important to be sure that you aren’t butting into conversations. Listen first, then engage in conversations organically (and when appropriate) to make the biggest impact.
- Capture the Human Element – What if your brand were a human? What is your brand’s personality? Social platforms allow brand personalities to shine, so be sure yours is a likeable one. Think of an online conversation as a conversation you would want to have during happy hour.
- Have a Brand With Purpose – Brands with purpose drive engagement. While Facebook’s organic reach is dramatically decreasing, the best way to stay relevant is to give people a brand to care about. Be in the right vertical and have a good product.
- Give Your Brand a Voice or Others Will – Facebook has over 1.32 billion people logging in per day. Giving your brand a positive voice on the social platform is more important now than ever before. Don’t let others give it a negative voice.
- Ello, Goodbye – Facebook’s Associate Manager, Genevieve Grdina, addressed fledgling competitor Ello, and its seemingly meteoric rise. Ello prides itself on being the ad-free anti-Facebook, but Grdina pointed out that all social platforms eventually need a monetization strategy to survive, and that Ello is not a long-term threat. Facebook is continuously working to improve the quality and relevance of the ads that keep Facebook a free service.
- Social + the CMO – Augie Ray questioned whether social media still has a place in today’s integrated marketing strategy without strong conversion metrics to justify media spend. Social media might not lead to direct sales or conversions, but it excels at fostering brand awareness and interpersonal customer communication. It’s also a great way for smaller brands with smaller budgets to reach and gain new customers.
- Facebook Reach Potential – Capture your target audience with quality posts, not quantity. Back quality with ad dollars, precise targeting, and posts could reach 90-95% of people that should see it and interact with it.
Laughlin Constable is the title sponsor for the 3rd annual Digital Advertising Summit, which will be held at Marquette University on Wednesday, March 18, 2015. Topics will include digital advertising, analytics, ecommerce, content strategy, design and development, loyalty, mobile, brand planning, user experience, the latest in digital marketing trends, and more.